Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Final Countdown


During the last 4 weeks of my pregnancy I had weekly scans and OB appointments. The last two scans showed that Sophia, the smaller girl was quite small and had not grown much in the 33rd week. Week 33 I had an appointment with a different OB as mine was on holidays. This other OB told me with confidence that I would make it to 34 weeks and both babies would be fine. I asked him over and over again at the last appointment whether Sophia was going to be ok because I was so worried about her but he said she would be fine.

I tried not to obsess too much about feeling the babies move but I couldn't help making sure I felt both of them kick each day. The problem with babies in the same amniotic sac is that it is very hard to tell which baby is kicking and whether it is just one or two kicking! I would sometimes wake in the middle of the night just wishing the babies would move. So I would get up, walk around and eat something just to feel them move. Once they got going I tried to relax again and go to sleep. However, it is hard going to sleep with two babies all excited inside you!

We visited the hospital for antenatal classes and asked all sorts of questions of the midwives from breastpumping equipment to how often I can see my babies to how long they are likely to be admitted for. All this information helped us to prepare us for what was to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment