Thursday, May 6, 2010

Our Special Care Experience
















We loved special care. Probably because every time we went there we got to see our gorgeous girls! I loved the smell of the antibacterial lotion they make you wash your hands with because I associated it with seeing them. I also loved the smell of the baby shampoo in the nursery and bought a bottle at the pharmacy so I could smell that gorgeous baby scent when I wasn't with them. Phoebe and Sophia were in special care for 3 weeks. For the first week I was also in hospital and Simon was staying in my room. Simon would visit the girls every 3 hours to feed them through the nasal gastric tube and I mean EVERY 3 hours. He was so in love :). I couldn't go every 3 hours but tried to get there 2-4 times a day. At first we were only allowed to cuddle them every 6 hours but as they gained strength we were able to cuddle them every 3 hours. It sounds strange to restrict physical contact with a baby but it really wore them out. Going home at the end of the first week was hard. We had to leave them behind :(. At first we came to the hospital for two feeds a day, then three, then four and then I was in there all day doing 5 feeds during the day. We then stayed overnight at the hospital for 2 nights to show they were able to be fully bottle and breastfed 24/7. We took them home at 4 weeks old.
The above photo was taken at a rare moment when the nasal gastric tubes were being changed at the same time. Most photos of them as newborns have them with the tubes in and big bits of tape covering their beautiful cheeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment