Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Phoebe and Sophia's Birth Day


The girls were born healthy via cesarean on the 11th January 2010 measuring 2008 grams and 2318 grams. Immediately after they were born my OB inspected the umbilical cords and said "someone was looking after these girls". As shown in the picture below there were several knots in their cords. I believe God was definitely looking after us!


They had APGARS of 9 and were only in humidity cribs for 19 hours. They didn't need continuous O2 but they had breathing apnoea for a week. Apnoea is when they forget to breath and need to be given O2 briefly. They were fully tube fed for 3 days and then we started to slowly introduce breastfeeding.

The substitute OB that saw we the week before the birth rang my OB from Hawaii (he was on holidays!) to ask if my girls were alright. He was quite concerned about whether he had made the right decision to let me have them out at 34 weeks rather than 33 weeks. Turns out he was right but gosh - talk about "obstetrician's bluff!"

Straight after surgery I was able to hold Sophia for about 10 minutes. They would've let me hold her longer but I was feeling very dizzy and nauseous from the anesthetic and chose to give back Sophia for fear of dropping her! About 2 hours after birth I was wheeled into the special care nursery and got to stroke Phoebe and Sophia's heads for 5 minutes each. Simon took lots of videos and photos of the girls so that I could look at them while I was recovering in my room. I didn't get to hold Phoebe until 29 hours after birth.

Simon and I were absolutely overjoyed to have 2 healthy babies! Words cannot describe the relief we felt when they came out screaming. We couldn't stop smiling (except for when I was vomiting from the anesthetic!).

No comments:

Post a Comment